Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Day with the Kennedys

In an attempt to take full advantage of the fact that I live in Boston I have been going on some super fun historical outings with my friends. Today we went to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. It is in a beautiful location on the water just south of Boston and it was quite an experience to be immersed in the life of the Kennedys for the day. In addition to learning a lot more about their lives and accomplishments we had the opportunity to watch several excerpts from speeches by both JFK and Bobby which were inspiring and thought-provoking. Since I don’t have time now to address the many streams of thought that I am still mulling over as a result of listening to some of their rhetoric, I just want to focus on a problem I face in dealing with people like the Kennedys. How can people who were so inspiring and influential lead dirty secret lives like they did? Can there be a disconnect between who they were and the wonderful things they accomplished? And if it is somehow possible to mentally separate the smuttiness of certain aspects of their lives from the positive changes they made in the world, should we? I guess what bothers me the most is that in their speeches they talk about morality, values, family, and yet their actions didn’t live up to their own words. In my opinion, if someone doesn’t practice or even strive to practice the principles they preach it devalues the message, even if that message is good and true. Now, in the case of the Kennedys, many of their messages still had a profound effect on the people of the world because for the most part the causes they championed were honorable, but I just feel like their lives somehow tainted the goodness of those actions. Two thoughts before I conclude. First of all, this concept that public figures often have ulterior motives makes me nervous in an election year where provocative rhetoric and emotional messages are being tossed around. I feel as though it is too easy to get carried away by words without actually investigating underlying issues and unspoken opinions. As Elder Maxwell says it is “so easy to be indignant without being intelligent” (Patience, 1979). I am trying to be self-aware enough to know when I am being manipulated by politicians to become indignant without actually being informed. So, instead of just talking inanely about issues I don’t really know enough about, I am resolved to become more informed so that I can make up my own mind instead of spouting off borrowed opinions from newscasters, co-workers, friends, or other people who sound like they know what they are talking about. Second, it is such a comfort to know that when it comes to the leadership in the Church I never have to struggle with not being sure I can trust the message because of the messenger. In fact, it is often the other way around: the exemplary lives of the messengers serve to only strengthen the messages they share. And I am really grateful for that fact.

No comments: