Sunday, March 23, 2008

Celebrating Holy Week

Probably more than any other year I really have felt focused on the significance of the events that transpired during the most holy week in the history of mankind. Most likely it is because I have had absolutely no trappings of a worldly Easter (no bunnies, baskets, candy, etc…) which has really allowed me to concentrate more on why this time of year is so important. Each day this week I have taken the time to be aware of the chronology of the events that occurred. This awareness has led me to a greater appreciation of how incredible it is that so much could have happened in such a short period of time.

All of my life (other than when I was at BYU) I have been around people who celebrate Lent, Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter, and while I know that as an LDS Church we don’t have special services on these days, I think we need to be careful not to overlook the significance of the events that transpired during the final week of the Savior’s mortal life. Really, the salvation of all of Heavenly Father’s children hinged on the events of this pivotal week which were the culminating events of Christ’s premortal and mortal life and mission. I know that without His atonement and resurrection my life would be pointless. I would have no hope of ever being able to progress beyond my sins and weaknesses, no hope of being with my family members again who I have lost, and no hope of returning to live with Heavenly Father.

Thankfully though, while we don’t have special services to celebrate and remember the events of holy week, what I have come to realize is that we actually do celebrate this special week throughout the year but maybe just aren’t as aware of it as we should be. Instead of fasting during Lent we have the opportunity every month to draw nearer to God by fasting which provides us with the strength to overcome the temptations of the devil as Christ did in the wilderness. As we serve and love each other on a daily basis we are remembering His washing of the disciples’ feet at the Last Supper. When we partake of the sacrament each week we are remembering that first sacrament and the atoning sacrifice and resurrection that followed which made the whole Plan of Salvation possible. So really, for me this week has been a reminder of the origin and significance of those things I do on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis to remember Him and I am grateful for those constant reminders of His holy and sacred sacrifice.

No comments: