Saturday, July 26, 2008

golden, beachy sunsets and other magical moments

Sometimes I feel a little bit guilty about how lovely my life is. It seems to me as though I have spent way more perfect days than any sensible person can wish for in an entire lifetime. Or do you think that maybe we all deserve to have as many perfect days as possible?

I just wish there were some way for me to allow everyone to experience the perfectness of these past few days and all the perfect days and moments I've had lately because there’s no way I can adequately share them. Pictures and words just aren't enough no matter how hard I wish they were, and how often I attempt to make them so. For instance…

Although I love the ocean at all times of day, my favorite time to be by the water is just before the sun sets. With my chair facing the rolling waves the sun warms my back and just when it's getting ready to creep behind the dunes it casts it's farewell light on the sand and water turning everything golden. The golden light gently slips away and the waves turn from gold to soft pink then to dusky lavender while the ocean itself transforms from it's crystal blues and gentle greens to royal purple then deep navy. During this magical time the dolphin pod makes its daily trek up the coast, their fins peeking above water just beyond the breaking waves...and if you sit really still, you notice crabs beginning to scuttle nervously out of their holes in the sand. Flocks of pelicans and other sea birds swoop down regularly looking for fish in the shallow waters of low tide. Usually by this time most people have abandoned the shore, sun-scorched from the long day, so I typically have my little piece of beach all to myself and my thoughts. Thoughts which are full of reflections on the past, and new hopes, dreams, and resolutions for the future.

And oh!...the other day was somewhat drizzly, but I decided to head back to the beach to savor this goldeny time of day despite the rain and was ever so glad I did! Just as the sun rays burst over the dunes, the clouds dissipated and a full rainbow appeared. As if on cue, the dolphins showed up, closer to shore than I’ve ever seen them. Sigh...

Ok, sorry for my poor attempt at describing these moments o’ delightful perfection. I’ll stop now. Thinking about it though, I guess the reason why my description pales in comparison to the real experience (other than my lack of literary and poetic genius of course) is that nothing can replace the feeling of contentment that comes to me at these moments. Utter and complete contentment that isn’t tainted by ignorance or self-deception. I am perfectly aware of the fact that I’m not who I eventually want to be physically, spiritually, academically, emotionally, and socially…and yet I know that I’m exactly where I need to be right now on my journey to those delightful eventualities.

And the best part about feeling like this is that I can simultaneously be inspired by hopes and dreams for the future and filled with a sense of satisfaction with the present. Even though I want so desperately to be my future self, I’m okay with the fact that I have a journey ahead because I know it will keep being filled with more perfect moments and days. And thinking about it more...I’m pretty sure we're allowed to have as much perfectness in our days as we allow ourselves to have. And that’s all for now because I need to rush off to sleep so I can catch the sunrise in the morning when I will say goodbye to my little spot o' beach for another year.

4 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I am so, so jealous of you right now.

This was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

Heidi said...

What the dreamland?! Dolphins AND a rainbow?!

Where the heck ARE you? Heaven?

I hope not because I like you and I can't rightly visit you if you're in heaven already...though Boston seems almost as impossible sometimes.

Thank you for the post. I think you're faaaaantastic. Livin' the dream, my friend. The American Dream.

trentathon said...

Beautiful post. Did you do any boogie boarding?

kia said...

l.m. - I know, right? I kinda even feel a little jealous of myself sometimes. But I hope you know that I REALLY wish you was here. (Well, was there...I'm back in VA now). This is why I always invite people to come to the beach with me if they can...it just is something I want to share with as many people as possible.

pinto - Yes, I'm back from heaven now, so you can come visit. Heaven=the outer banks o' NC by the way. Oh yeah, and there are wild horses there as well...in case you were questioning whether it could get any better. And, I haven't even told you about my kayaking adventures through the magical, marshy, mazey islands off the shore yet. (Sorry for the excessive alliteration, but man...it was crazy awesome).

trentathon- Are you kidding? Of course I went boogie boarding! I'm pretty much a world-champion boarder who's giving it all up in the name of science. j/k but it was REALLY good b.bing weather. The water was warm, and the waves were great all week...AND there was an amazing sandbar pretty far out which means that I could catch the mega-waves and ride them ALL the way in...sigh...so much fun. Did you get to go b.bing when you were in Duck?