Thursday, April 3, 2008

Brittle Nails and...Tuna Fish?

Lately I have been somewhat frustrated by the state of my fingernails. Now, while I don’t obsess about my nails like some girls do, I prefer them to be strong enough not to break or chip at the slightest provocation. So, the other day as I was waiting for my timer to go off (my life in the lab is run completely on timers because I am always waiting for something to be done spinning, incubating, etc…) I was staring at my brittle fingernails wishing they were not so brittle. Wondering what I could do about my woeful nail situation I began thinking… The traditional remedy for brittle nails is simply painting them with various sorts of strengthening polishes. Sadly, I can’t wear fingernail polish because all the chemicals I work with in the lab strip it off within minutes. So, I was left wondering what deficiencies in my diet were preventing me from enjoying the benefits of healthy nails. Thankfully, I was able to ask the all-knowing Internet and found out that while brittle nails can be caused by many dietary deficiencies, some of the most important nutrients for healthy nails are provided by tuna fish (B vitamins and essential fatty acids among other things). This fact made me very happy because I am a big tuna fan. But, I did realize that I hadn’t eaten tuna for quite a while. So I promptly went home and made a tuna fish sandwich for dinner that night. Ever since I have been making sure to get a healthy dose of tuna and I think it’s paying off! I’ve gotta go now because its time for lunch and I’ve got a yummy tuna sandwich waiting just for me!

No comments: