Thursday, June 5, 2008

Freedom is...

Not having to spend every waking hour on your computer analyzing data, writing your thesis, or studying for the MCAT!

As much as I love my new little mac I have been more than happy to abandon it these past few weeks and have been enjoying my new-found freedom. It has been so nice to be able to do the things I want to do with absolutely no time constraints. I had honestly forgotten what a beautiful thing it is to be able to spend all day reading in the park, meeting a friend for a long conversation over brunch, or just being able to walk around the city discovering new haunts.

And, the incredible thing is that I have been so productive! I really think that I have been able to effectively channel my study energy into getting all of the things done that I have had to put off.

Some of the fun things I've been up to:

Right after the MCAT Sun took me out to Chipotle where I downed a child-sized burrito (seriously folks...these things are massive). I hadn't really been able to eat for about a week and a half before then, so the burrito provided needed sustenance.

The next day I washed about a month's worth of laundry, cleaned out my closet (the Salvation Army was very happy), went shopping, and then got to chillax with HB who came to visit me!

Among the many other super-fun things we did, we had a lovely picnic in Mt. Auburn Cemetery...

and freedom-trailed it...
(Honestly, I love visiting the Constitution. It is one of my favorite things to do in Boston. I don't know why, I just do...maybe I was a sailor in my former life. I was probably in charge of firing this cannon.)

I finally changed my license plate. (I'm officially no longer handicapped!)
OH! I also got another little boy! Isn't he cute! (He still doesn't have a name though...I'm open to suggestions.)

These are my other adorable little fishies just in case you haven't seen them. This is Shubu...

and this is Eddy (he is named after the Black Prince, Prince Edward, who was a big military man because he has black-tipped fins and when I first got him his entire fin was ripped--probably in battle--but it has since healed and he has a nice scar now).
I have also been busy voraciously reading, slowly making my way through paperwork that has piled up, deciding what schools to apply to, working on fun projects, and trying to decide what lab I want to work in next year. Overall life has been good and just keeps getting better!

5 comments:

Anne said...

I am glad you are enjoying your new found freedom. It sounds so nice. I am jealous. I was talking with Lana the other day and he was saying we should come visit you. I wish I could. We will have to see what the summer brings. Read some good books with your new free time.

trentathon said...

He looks like a Ned to me...

Unknown said...

'Willy'. But we'll call him 'Free Willy' for short. (To go with Shamu)

Joanna said...

Do you mind if I use some name ideas for my new little boy?

kia said...

Anne, you and Lana should totally come visit me! (August would be a great time). In the meanwhile enjoy school cause you're almost done! (Yay!)

Ned huh? That's a definite possibility, I'll think about it...

And honestly Danni? You're pretty much fired from being my sister (or at least from naming my fish).

Jo, I think you should just use all the suggestions--Ned Shamu "Free Willy" Moody would be a perfect name for the little one :-) (ps I definitely want pictures as soon as he arrives).